Hand surgery deals with the problems of the hands, wrists and forearms. Hand surgeons like Dr. Dan Rowe from Brisbane Hand and Plastic Surgery take special interest in Hand and Microsurgical Reconstructive surgery to help people improve their quality of life. The hands are used for different purposes and so damaging them may lessen a person’s capability to perform even the simplest activity required for daily living.
These are the conditions that can greatly benefit from hand surgery:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – This condition is described as feelings of numbness, pain and tingling of the hand. This is due to excessive pressure to the median nerve and is common among people who are pregnant or are suffering from hypothyroidism, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. Also, this can be the effect of repeated hand movement especially when the wrist is bent down consistently.
- Wrist Pain – Wrist pain is one of the early symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, but it can also be due to other factors like gout, arthritis and injury to the wrist. Other causes include tendinitis, bursitis, physical dislocation, fracture and osteoarthritis. Chronic wrist pain may need hand surgery to permanently alleviate pain.
- Major Cuts on Fingers and Hand – Major cuts on the finger and hand may be due to flexor tendon injuries. These are the muscles that bend when the fingers are used. There are cases when the tendons separate due to physical injuries and this can only be treated with surgery.
- Sports Injuries of the Hand and Wrist – This is common among athletes and should be treated immediately to prevent long-term defects or permanent disability. Some of the most common hand and wrist injuries are soft tissue and closed tendon injuries, sprains and bone injuries.
- Creating Fingers from Toes and Other Joints – Missing fingers certainly can reduce the quality of life of a person. A person with such condition may also suffer from insecurity, depression and social phobia. Creating fingers from toes and other joints can treat the underlying problems of missing fingers and bring back a person’s self-confidence.
There are still other cases that may need hand surgery. When it comes to hand surgery, nothing could outperform the services done by Dr. Rowe. With his years of experience, he already helped hundreds of people with their hand conditions. He uses extensive diagnostic procedures to ensure that his patients get accurate and efficient results. To know more about hand surgery, contact Dr. Dan Rowe today.